Company: Smithfield Foods
Location: Sioux Falls
Posted on: November 20, 2023
IndSPR- Engineering Maintenance
Need help with your application? Join us during our walk-in hours!
Monday and Thursday - 8am to 7pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday -
8am to 5pm. A great job and a great future await you at Smithfield
Foods. As the world's largest pork processor and largest hog
producer in the United States, we're a $16 billion global food
company with more than 55,000 employees. We're looking for
motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and
meaningful careers with us. Our team members receive
industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits
Hourly Maintenance Starting Pay
$20.55 - $29.35.
- $1.10/hr shift differential for 2nd and 3rd shift
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
Looking to move? We will help! Ask about our Relocation Assistance
package for Skilled Trades roles! Benefits include, but are not
- Lump Sum payments
- Agents to help you sell/ buy
- Lease Termination Assistance
- Moving of goods and vehicles In addition, we offer
opportunities for career growth, professional development, and
tuition assistance. The Maintenance Technician has responsibilities
to maintain, troubleshoot and repair a variety of electrical and
mechanical equipment in a food processing environment. This
position requires proficiency in multiple skill clusters, such as
electrical controls, fluid power, mechanical systems, welding,
fabrication and manufacturing processes. This person will perform
medium to high-level machine systems troubleshooting and repair and
provide technical support for all phases of the operation. This
work will be of average to considerable difficulty in the
accomplishment of a variety of mechanical maintenance actions.
- Receives work order/request, reviews to determine tools,
equipment, time, manpower, parts, and supplies needed.
- When responding to crisis calls will always arrive at the scene
with basic tools and equipment necessary to perform work.
- Read blueprints, schematics (including electrical), wiring
diagrams, technical manuals, etc.
- Maintains various activity records and logs.
- Observe equipment or machinery while in operation to detect
- Disassemble mechanical equipment, identify faulty/worn parts,
replace, reassemble, and test.
- Test major subsystems or components to localize problem using
- Fabricate replacement parts which may require welding, cutting,
or sheet metal work.
- Perform preventive maintenance on various mechanical systems
and equipment. Install new equipment/appliances including utilities
(i.e., electrical, water, gas, or drain lines).
- Responsibilities include installing, trouble shooting, and
maintaining, mechanical equipment, piping systems, electrical
controls/components in accordance with manufacturer's
specification, local regulations and Smithfield safety
- Performs preventive and predictive maintenance schedules on
mechanical equipment such as pumps, packaging and slicing
equipment, harvest and cutting equipment used in manufacturing
- Working knowledge and skills in operating a variety of small
hand tools and devices used in general mechanical maintenance
operations The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned
to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 1+
years of related experience and/or training in an industrial
mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing environment; or 4
years' direct experience in an industrial mechanical maintenance or
food manufacturing maintenance environment.
- Vocational Diploma, Technical Diploma or associate degree from
a technical maintenance or vocational school. (Preferred).
- Possess the ability to function effectively in a team
environment and interact productively with all levels of team
personnel and outside contractors.
- Ability to operate a forklift, genie lift or scissor lift or
other powered industrial trucks (PIT).
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and execute work order, write daily reports,
and translate equipment manuals.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an
employee should possess to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee may
encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions
(non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related),
working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne
particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can
be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds utilizing the buddy
system or specifically designed lifting devices
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and
ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or
feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and
talk or hear.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits. PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment. GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a
lifelong career with training designed to help you advance
professionally. BENEFITS Our people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees. Also, education benefits available to full and part-time
Smithfield team members on their first day of employment
SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our culture
and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc.
is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global
reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to
producing "Good food. Responsibly" and serve as one of the world's
leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a
portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield,
Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others. For more
information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace
diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected
veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other
protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Sioux Falls , Maintenance Technician, Engineering , Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!