Database Administrator Intern - REV
Location: Sioux Falls
Posted on: June 14, 2019
This unique opportunity is open to juniors, seniors, and graduate
students pursuing a career in Computer Science or Management
Information Systems (MIS). This internship opportunity will provide
the applicant entry-level experience with progressive
responsibility and experience. The work will be hands-on support of
the various missions at the EROS (Earth Resources Observation and
Science) Center (http://eros.usgs.gov/), located near Sioux Falls,
South Dakota. The Database Administrator intern(s) will be assigned
a mentor. The interns will telecommute from campus with travel to
the EROS Center as their schedule permits and as the project
requires. It is expected that the selected interns will work on
site at EROS during school breaks, and/or during the summer months.
This position holds potential for full-time employment upon
graduation, pending project funding.
Education: Working towards a Bachelor s degree in Computer Science,
Management Information Systems (MIS) or a related discipline and
graduating in 2019 or 2020.
Experience: 0-2 year s related experience is desired.
* Perform work under the direct supervision of project management
as well as senior and principle database administrators
* Perform database administration, installation, maintenance, and
proper licensing of systems, including installation of database
software, patches, and upgrades
* Perform database backup and recovery duties, establish standards
and schedules for database backups, develop and test recovery
procedures for each database, and ensure backup schedules meet the
* Install, upgrade, and configure Oracle/PostgreSQL, MySQL and
Cassandra and related tools
* Monitor database and hardware activity, provide and implement
server and SQL tuning recommendations to meet service level
* Maintain the integrity of Project databases and ensure that the
security requirements for the database servers are met
* Write and debug shell scripts and database programs that enhance
the utility of systems and provide an effective user interface to
* Provide and maintain current documentation of databases, database
configurations, administrative tools, and procedures for
implementation/adaptation of products and services.
* Provide database expertise to software developers and participate
in peer reviews of database code and design
* Maintain a current awareness of database industry trends and uses
to enhance support provided to the Project staff
* Perform research and development in anticipation of technological
database system innovations
* Perform other work as assigned to ensure the success of the
Special Skills / Requirements:
* Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
* Basic knowledge of systems engineering
* Critical thinking
* Analytical performance analysis
* Learn new technologies and tools rapidly
* Effective ability to organize and prioritize tasks
* Proficient in using MS Office Suite
* Experience in one or more databases such as Oracle and / or
Candidates must have strong technical knowledge, excellent
communication skills, and a teamwork emphasis. Candidates must also
be able to integrate into a highly-skilled Team.
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency
check and background investigation after hire to obtain a badge for
facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on
the SGT website (Http://www.sgt-inc.com/careers).
This position may be filled by a SGT teammate on the TSSC Contract.
Please apply on line.
SGT is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/m/f/disabled/veteran.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the SGT is to provide a
fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job
applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin,
gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. SGT
hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their
qualifications for the job to be filled. SGT believes that
employees should be provided with a working environment which
enables them to be productive and to work to the best of his or her
ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of
intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national
origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or
disability. We expect and require the cooperation of all employees
in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.
Keywords: SGT,Inc., Sioux Falls , Database Administrator Intern - REV, IT / Software / Systems , Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!