Linux/Unix Systems Administrator
Location: Sioux Falls
Posted on: August 13, 2019
KBR (formerly Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies (SGT)) is seeking a
Linux/Unix Systems Administrator to join our talented Land
Processes DAAC (LP DAAC) team at the USGS EROS Center in Sioux
Falls, South Dakota. KBR is the primary contractor to the U.S.
Geological Survey (USGS) for performing work at the Earth Resources
Observation and Science (EROS) Center (http://eros.usgs.gov/) near
Sioux Falls, SD. (http://www.siouxfalls.org)
The primary responsibilities include installing, upgrading, and
patching Linux / Unix operating systems; installing and configuring
Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) packages; installing and
configuring virtual servers; performing training and assisting
customers (internal and external) with OS / COTS / custom
application support issues; assisting with the installation /
configuration / maintenance of RAID / SAN / storage units;
performing aspects of system security, including OS hardening and
patch installation; Applicant must be able to work independently or
in a group environment, be capable of training users in
applications, and writing documentation. This full-time position
may require occasional travel. Excellent communication skills and
proven team work / building are required for this position. The
candidate must be able to integrate with a team of highly skilled
Systems Administrators and other Information Technology staff.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Technology,
Years of Experience: Minimum of 3-6 years of directly related
technical, professional experience required.
* Systems Administration experience managing complex and
* Experience on the Linux platform and Unix-based
* Experience with deploying, supporting, and troubleshooting both
networking and system hardware.
* An understanding of CI/CD, orchestration, IaaS, PaaS, and similar
technologies and concepts
* VMware; creation, management, administration and maintenance of
ESXi hosts and VMs.
* Knowledge to maintain user configurations, registrations,
passwords, resources, and distribution lists.
* Investigate, provide analysis, and document assigned Jira cards
in accordance with project-approved Configuration Management (CM)
* Install, configure, maintain, and periodically audit the
Commercial Off-The-Shelf/Government Off-The-Shelf (COTS/GOTS)
packages requested/required by the Project and update the system
* Proactively look for updates to COTS/GOTS packages and
communicate or recommend updates to the appropriate staff.
* Ensure the integrity of data and ensure that backup recovery
systems are reliable.
* Ensure that all systems and networks comply with USGS computer
and network security requirements.
* Assist the Project with testing as necessary for software
* Research and remediation of security vulnerabilities
* Provide and maintain current documentation of UNIX systems,
server configurations, administrative tools, and procedures for
implementation/adaptation of products and services.
* Experience with AWS and its services including but not limited
to: EC2, ECS, S3, Lambda, Cloud Formation
* Understanding of shared network storage, NFS, Redhat Gluster
* Experience with modern virtualization/containerization and
deployment technologies (e.g. Docker containers, Kubernetes)
* Understanding of DevOps principles, concepts, solutions, and
* Basic troubleshooting knowledge of complex networks using
* Scripting (bash, shell, perl, python, etc.)
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency
check and background investigation after hire to obtain a badge for
facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on
the KBR website (http://www.sgt-inc.com). This position may be
filled by a KBR teammate on the TSSC Contract. Please apply on
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/m/f/disabled/veteran.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the SGT is to provide a
fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job
applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin,
gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. SGT
hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their
qualifications for the job to be filled. SGT believes that
employees should be provided with a working environment which
enables them to be productive and to work to the best of his or her
ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of
intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national
origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or
disability. We expect and require the cooperation of all employees
in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.
Keywords: SGT,Inc., Sioux Falls , Linux/Unix Systems Administrator, IT / Software / Systems , Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!