Company: Smithfield Foods
Location: Sioux Falls
Posted on: November 25, 2022
In Operations, you would be on the front-line of the business;
overseeing production, tracking product yields, and making
necessary adjustments. Ensuring that safety and USDA health
standards are met throughout all steps of the manufacturing
process. You would be a key player in upholding the trusted quality
in which Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan's Famous, and our other brands
are known to possess. Supervises production employees on assigned
shifts to ensure production guidelines are being met within
established timing, quality, and cost standards. Trains, directs,
coaches and leads the production team in the day-to-day operations
to meet production, safety and quality requirements. Drives the
communication of production goals and objectives, as well as
results in order to effectively motivate the team to maintain a
high standard of product quality while maximizing plant
efficiencies. Directs the routine maintenance and set up of
machines, equipment, and facilities.
- Performs daily walks and visual
inspections of the Production floor in observation of unsafe acts
or conditions; takes immediate corrective action where
- Maintains safety/environmental self-audits & visual checks,
champions all safety or ergonomic activities for the department and
helps to develop and meet plant safety goals.
- Maintain desired product quality and safety. Ensure all staff
and employees know and understand the Food Safety plan and the Food
- Trains employees to ensure safe operating procedures are
followed, including lock-out and tag-out.
- Adheres to product specification requirements throughout the
manufacturing process to maintain the desired product quality
- Maintains adequate knowledge of products and equipment to
ensure the ability to direct employees to perform the job
- Ensures tasks are completed in accordance with HACCP and USDA
regulations; taking corrective action when necessary.
- Walks the production floor daily and holds monthly line
meetings to address questions and concerns.
- Maintain or exceed goals on yields and efficiencies.
- Works with the Operations Managers and/or
Superintendents/Supervisors to maintain knowledge of yields and
variances, methods of calculations, typical problem areas and
methods for corrections and improvement.
- Suggests changes in work flow processes and use of equipment to
increase efficiency of the department and/or production crew to
maintain the lowest level of downtime and product costs
- Traces and analyzes key product result measures for improvement
opportunities.The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned
to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2+
years of related experience, required.
- In lieu of a High School Diploma or GED, candidate must have 4
years of manufacturing industry experience in a production
environment and a minimum of 2 years related experience leading or
- Bachelor's degree and previous leadership experience;
- Knowledge of SAP, Internet, Spreadsheet, Word and Order
processing, and Inventory software, preferred.
- Previous food processing experience, supervisory experience,
manufacturing knowledge and understanding of yields, plant
efficiencies, and operations procedures, preferred.
- Bilingual a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to lead problem solving and troubleshooting efforts
associated with high-level process issues.
- Strong problem solving, math, and analytical skills.
- Ability motivate, train and coach employees to encourage
optimum performance and engagement.
- Good planning and priority setting skills.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
- Ability to work in varying production environments (heat and
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees on the Production
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training
employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising
performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions
(non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related),
working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne
particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can
be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision,
distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch,
or crawl and talk or hear.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits. PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment. GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a
lifelong career with training designed to help you advance
professionally. BENEFITS Our people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees. SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our
culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc.
is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global
reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to
producing "Good food. Responsibly" and serve as one of the world's
leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a
portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield,
Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others. For more
information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace
diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected
veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other
protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Sioux Falls , Production Supervisor, Other , Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!