Ground Station Operator
Location: Sioux Falls
Posted on: September 10, 2019
KBR (Kbr.com) is seeking to fill a full-time Ground Station
Operator position to support the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) at
the Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center
(Http://eros.usgs.gov/), located near Sioux Falls, SD
The Landsat Data Capture & Processing Facility (DCPF) Ground
Station Operator (GSO) supports the Landsat Operations Task
Manager, and the Ground Station Technical Team Lead (GSTTL). The
GSO operates various ground station equipment, computer peripherals
and support equipment within Landsat Ground Station (LGS)
operations area in Computer Room 2 (CR2). The GSOs primary focus is
monitoring, operating and supporting the LGS and its associated
antennas and equipment during real-time satellite up-links (S-Band
Telemetry (TLM), Tracking, and Commanding (CMD)) and downlinks
(S-Band & X-Band) with Landsat-7 and Landsat-8 to ensure successful
receipt of data (S-Band & X-Band), to ensure S-Band TLM is flowing
back to the Mission Operations Centers (MOCs), to monitor and
ensure a S-Band uplink is established between the LGS and the
Landsat satellite(s) for S-Band Commanding (performed by MOCs), and
to ensure good two-way Doppler tracking (for Landsat-7) while
communicating with the MOCs during live events. Following the live
events, it s the GSOs responsibility to ensure all Landsat (X-Band)
data is ingested, assembled, processed and archived successfully to
the Landsat USGS archive. In addition, the GSO works to ensure all
Landsat (X-Band) data dumped at the various Landsat Ground Network
(LGN) stations (located in Alaska, Norway, Australia, and Germany)
is received, ingested, assembled, processed and archived as
* High school diploma or equivalent is required.
* Associate or bachelor s degree with emphasis towards computer
science, information systems, or satellite communications is
* Minimum of 2-3 years related experience in satellite
communications, computer operations, or equivalent, or one-year
experience with an applicable degree.
* Experience and understanding of the Earth Resources Observation &
Science (EROS) systems and data processing are desired.
* Ensure the Landsat Ground Station (LGS) data capture systems are
ready to acquire satellite data (S-Band and X-Band) before every
acquisition to ensure no loss of data. The LGS data capture systems
* 10-Meter antenna
* 5.4-Meter antenna
* Contact Schedule Ingest System (CSIS)
* Ground Station Automation subsystem (EPOCH-2000)
* Command & Telemetry Processors (CTPs) for S-Band
* Programmable Demodulators (PDs) for X-Band
* Capture Transfer System (CTS)
* Operate, monitor, and resolve any issues associated with the
Ground Station Automation System (EPOCH-2000); In the event
automation fails be able to resolve issue accordingly and or run
activities manually if needed.
* Operate, monitor, and report any issues associated with the
Ground Station Radio Frequency (RF) equipment associated with
X-Band reception and S-Band uplink/downlink.
* Monitor DCRS to ensure the transfer of Mission Data, Satellite
State Of Health (SSOH), and Ground Pass Reports (GPRs) for the
local LGS ground station and the Landsat-8 Ground Network stations
located in Alaska, Norway, Germany, and Australia are received,
mission data is assembled, and made available to INGEST (ING).
* Monitor and ensure all SSOH files and GPR reports for LGS and the
LGN stations are successfully delivered to the L8 MOC
* Ensure Landsat-7 raw data received during direct downlinks to the
LGS are archived (through the Data Collection System (DCS)) and
processed and archived on the Landsat-7 Processing System
* Monitor and operator the automatic electronic transfer (AutoET)
to ensure L7 data from the L7 Ground Network is received, processed
* Ingest Landsat data from various media sources in support of the
Landsat Global Archive Consolidation (LGAC) efforts (Digital Linear
Tape (DLT), High Density Tape (HDT), Linear Tape Output (LTO),
Digital Cassette Tape (DCT), electronically, and external USB and
Network Attached Storage (NAS) drives.
* Operate and become knowledgeable of the various system consoles
(Windows & Linux) and peripheral components associated with the
* Obtain a thorough understanding of error conditions and system
* Communicate and coordinate activities and technical status with
the Landsat Operations Task Manager, GSTTL, and other Landsat
Project team members, as appropriate.
* Complete and pass certification exam(s) associated with all DCPF
Data Processing Systems, Data Capture Systems, and the Ground
Station Subsystems (Antenna s and RF equipment) to achieve the
Ground Station Technician (GST) certification status within a
specified amount of time.
* Complete and pass exam to achieve an overall Shift Lead
* Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS) as
changes occur within the DCPF Operations.
* Review and update SOPs to ensure accuracy and still pertain to
* Ensure daily checklists are followed and updated as required.
* Ensure pass checklists are followed prior to every satellite
support and updated as required.
* Perform routine system re-boots, power down and power up
* Assist in maintaining consumables needed for normal
* Ensure proper process is followed and documentation is properly
* Assist GSTTL with the development of new procedures as new
satellite missions, new equipment (hardware) and or software
changes are implemented.
* Understand the different satellite communications characteristics
for numerous earth imaging type sensors/spacecraft.
* Initiate and track Change Requests (CRs) as situations
* Interface with support staff (SatComm RF Engineers, Sys Admins,
Database Admins, Network Admins, Software Engineers, and Systems
Engineer as required.
* Support system anomaly investigations and troubleshooting
activities affecting the LGS.
* Participate in peer reviews.
* Train new coworkers.
* Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
* Demonstrate an aptitude toward the understanding of computer
hardware and operating concepts.
* Basic knowledge of Unix, Linux, and Microsoft Office
* Basic knowledge of Oracle SQL commands.
* Possess a general working knowledge of utility programs and
Graphical User Interfaces (GUls).
* Ability to adapt to changes in a multi-mission ground station
* Experience with ground station automation
* Experience with software coding and scripting
* Experience with satellite uplinks and downlinks
* Ability to backfill the Ground Station Technical Team Lead
(GSTTL) in their absence.
* Basic knowledge of configuration management common practices.
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency
check and background investigation after hire to obtain credentials
for facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on
the KBR / SGT website (Http://www.sgt-inc.com). This position may
be filled by a KBR teammate on the TSSC Contract. Please apply on
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/m/f/disabled/veteran.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the SGT is to provide a
fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job
applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin,
gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. SGT
hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their
qualifications for the job to be filled. SGT believes that
employees should be provided with a working environment which
Keywords: SGT,Inc., Sioux Falls , Ground Station Operator, Other , Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!