Remote Sensing Scientist
Location: Sioux Falls
Posted on: September 13, 2019
Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies (SGT, www.sgt-inc.com) is seeking
to fill a full-time Remote Sensing Scientist position to support
the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) at the Earth Resources
Observation and Science (EROS) Center (http://eros.usgs.gov/),
located near Sioux Falls, SD (http://www.siouxfalls.org).
The successful candidate will become an integral part of the Land
Processes Distributed Active Archive Center (LP DAAC,
https://lpdaac.usgs.gov), a National Aeronautics and Space
Administration (NASA) funded project, located at the USGS EROS
Center. The LP DAAC operates as a partnership between the USGS and
NASA and is a component of NASA s Earth Observing System Data and
Information System (EOSDIS). Data scientists, system engineers,
user service representatives, and outreach staff work together to
support LP DAAC activities and distribute data to the remote
sensing community. As a Remote Sensing Scientist, one will utilize
numerous Geographic Information System (GIS) software and scripting
techniques while working directly with data providers evaluating
science quality and metadata of the data, finalizing algorithm and
user guide documentation, authoring web content as well as
participating in presentations and workshops regarding the data. If
you have a related skillset/background and are interested in an
exciting and challenging career in this field, we invite you to
apply for this position.
* Bachelor s degree in remote sensing, geography, environmental
science or equivalent.
* Master s degree is preferred.
* 3 years of directly related professional experience (willing to
consider differing combinations of education/experience).
* Participates in research and evaluation activities as part of a
* Performs GIS/remote sensing data collection, management,
processing, and analysis using various software packages.
* Creates, assesses, and edits metadata.
* Applies the scientific method in research projects and contribute
to the writing, editing, and review of publications.
* Develops maps, charts, graphs, tables, and other figures for use
in presentations and publications.
* Attends occasional scientific conferences to present project work
and collaborate with other professionals in the discipline.
* Prepares and presents project results and methodology to
customers as requested.
* Maintains regular communication with staff, customers, and
* Fundamental understanding of the characteristics and applications
of instruments such as LIDAR, MODIS, VIIRS, ASTER and Landsat.
* Demonstrable knowledge of GIS techniques, remote sensing
principles, and related science applications.
* Experience in processing and analyzing imagery with GIS and
remote sensing software packages, such as ArcGIS, ERDAS, ENVI and
* Familiarity with raster and vector data processing
* Familiarity with metadata standards.
* Self-starter with an ability to multi-task.
* Ability to communicate remote sensing science to a variety of
audiences through public speaking and writing.
* Strong writing ability for authoring documentation, data stories,
reports and presentations.
* Possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both
written and verbal).
* Familiarity with scripting languages.
* Demonstrable proficiency with statistical packages, such as R and
* Demonstrable proficiency with using GDAL for raster data
* Ability to write and publish project work in highly visible
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency
check and background investigation after hire to obtain credentials
for facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on
the SGT website (Http://www.sgt-inc.com). This position may be
filled by a SGT teammate on the TSSC Contract. Please apply on
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the SGT is to provide a
fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job
applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin,
gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. SGT
hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their
qualifications for the job to be filled. SGT believes that
employees should be provided with a working environment which
enables them to be productive and to work to the best of his or her
ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of
intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national
origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or
disability. We expect and require the cooperation of all employees
in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.
Keywords: SGT,Inc., Sioux Falls , Remote Sensing Scientist, Other , Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!